We went to New Orleans in September, it was a bucket list spot for both of us and I have to say, we were not disappointed.
We knew we would have amazing seafood, jambalaya, po boys and beignets. What we were not expecting, was to have some of the best pizza we have ever had.
We stopped at a little pizza place near the Mercedes-Benz Superdome during a Saints game, they had specials on wings and mimosa's during the game, an hour after walking in we were dissecting what exactly was on this pizza we had and how we could re-create it at home. A few mimosas in, we came up with this recipe.
The secret to this recipe is in the sauce, we use The Siren and smoked butter for the sauce, you could also use regular butter if you don't have smoked, but if you have access to smoked butter, buy it, you won't be sorry.
We don't include a pizza dough recipe here, mainly because we have a great, local pizza place that sells us dough for a great price and we never have to make our own. If you don't want to make your own dough, a store bought dough would work or give your local pizza place a call and see if you can buy some.
A note before we begin, we use a large cast iron skillet for this recipe.
1 TBSP smoked butter
1 TBSP The Siren
Canola oil, enough to cover bottom of skillet
Your favorite pizza dough
A pinch of fresh basil and oregano
1 cup of shredded mozzarella
1 TBSP diced red onion
1 piece of cooked bacon, crumbled
1/4 cup cooked, crumble sausage
4 cooked, shelled, tail off shrimp
1/4 cup jalapenos
1/2 tomato sliced
1. Preheat oven to 450 degreees
2. Melt 1 TBSP smoked butter and whisk with 1 TBSP of The Siren
3. Pour oil into cast iron skillet, enough to cover the bottom of the skillet
4. Put rolled out pizza dough in skillet
5. Poke dough with holes
6. Spread the butter/ Siren mixture onto the dough
7. Sprinkle a pinch of fresh basil and oregano
8. Sprinkle mozzarella and red onion
9. Add bacon and sausage
10. Add shrimp, jalapenos and tomatoes
11. Cook for 45 minutes at 450 degrees